When I’m Taking a Break from Couponing I’m typically trying to Save Time more than I am money so one of my favorite tips for accomplishing both goals is Price Matching! When you are running short on Time and you are still looking for ways to save money this can be one of your Number 1 Resources. Learning to use Price Matching is easy and I think you’ll be surprised at just how much you can save!
Walmart and Target both offer Price Matching Policies that will match local competitor ads.
I don’t have a Super Target so I do most of my Price Matching at Walmart. Most Walmart locations will match Produce and Meat Sales from nearby stores so that’s one of the quickest ways to save! Walmart also matches advertised prices including “Store Loyalty Card Prices” and In Ad Coupons with a specific Product and Price on them.
When I am short on time I just throw my Weekly Grocery Store Ads in my purse before I head to the store, I pull them out in the store and browse the produce deals as I go through the aisles, Circle anything you are planning on price matching and keep those items in one place in your cart.
When you get ready to check out just show the ad to your cashier as they scan the items. They will need to price modify as they ring up each item.
If you do want to use coupons you can hand those over at the end of your transaction.
Most Walmart’s do not require the Ad to be presented however I do find that a lot of Cashiers still ask for it even though the policy says it is not required.
Here are a few tips for Price Matching:
- Check the Product Details. To price match an item it must be the same product and same quantity so be careful to double check!
- Price Match when Items are Out of Stock. If you have a local store that’s out of a Hot Deal (Like the Stayfree last week) you can Price Match these deals and get the same great price at Walmart or Target and you don’t have to worry about picking up a rain check.
- Keep Price Match Items Together. You can grab a Hand Held Basket to put inside your cart to keep things organized. Having all your Price Match Items at the beginning of your checkout lane helps speed up the process.
- Don’t forget the Coupons. You should be able to Price Match & Use Manufacturer Coupons so don’t forget that you can save twice as much with this strategy.
- Read the Policy! Walmart and Target both have Price Match Policies, each are a little different in what stores they will match and the rules and guidelines so make sure you read these carefully and print them out to keep with you in case you run into problems.
If you have a Favorite Price Matching Tip be sure to share it below!
Don’t forget you can sign up for our Daily Email Updates and get access to all of our Extreme Couponing Classes where you can learn the basics of How to Shop for Free!