If you have long hair, you probably go through a lot of hair ties, especially in the summer. Here is a fun way to make your own to save a little money, plus you can pick out colors you really like and add some details to them if you want.This is a fun and super easy project you can do for yourself or your daughter, or have your daughter help you in the process. It is also a fun trip to take to pick out the colors you want at the craft store. And pick out any buttons or other cute accessories you can add to your custom hair ties.
How to Make Your Own Hair Ties:
What You Need:
Foldover Elastic – Plain or Satin (can be found at Michael’s or other craft stores)
Fray Check (Liquid Seam Sealant – also found at craft stores)
What You Do:
1) Measure out 10 inches of foldover elastic. You can measure one at a time or if you are making multiple, cut them all at once.
2) Put the two ends together and create a simple knot. Leave just a inch or so between the knot and the ends of the elastic.
3) Trim the ends (right past the knot) at a diagonal or just straight across. Â Totally a personal preference.
4) To prevent fraying, seal the edges with the Fray Check. This is not a requirement to make the hair ties. They will generally look better and last longer if you do. But if you don’t have any, it will work fine without.
5) You can also add buttons or other items to the hair tie before making the knot. They just need to have a spot to slide the elastic through and thread it like a thread and needle.
These are very fun and super easy to make. It’s a great project to do with your daughter, niece or granddaughter, or a group of girls. Maybe a fun project for a Girl Scout troop. Or a little craft project at a birthday party.