When it comes to eating healthy the foods you choose are essential. You probably know that just because something costs more money doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a higher or better quality. That being said, knowing what foods you should pay more for is important. Here are 15 foods you should pay more for.
- Organic, free range chicken: Chickens that are caged and massed produced are much smaller and less healthy then their free range counterparts. Not only that but many companies have used growth hormones to try to help the chickens grow, which ends up in the meat you consume.
- Organic, grass fed beef: Just like chickens when cows are not fed good quality food they are not healthy like grass fed cows. You also help to not consume hormones or other chemicals from the food being fed to mass produced animals.
- Organic apples: Apples are one of the fruits which are most contaminated with pesticides. One way to help prevent this is by buying organic apples.
- Wild salmon: Most people who eat fish want the powerful omega fatty acids they hope are within the fish. Most fish especially farmed fish contain very little of these heart health minerals.
- Organic strawberries and cherries: Again buying organic helps to ensure you aren’t eating pesticides with your fruit. Organic strawberries and cherries are juicier and tastier.
- Organic celery: It is not only fruit that is saturated with pesticides but vegetables also. Celery is one of the vegetables known to be inundated with multiple different pesticides.
- Organic milk: It is important to be sure you aren’t drinking milk that contains hormones. One way is to be safe is to buy organic or read the labels to ensure it doesn’t contain rBST.
- Tomatoes: Canned tomatoes or tomato sauce is laced with BPA which is known to interfere with the endocrine function. Buy tomatoes that are BPA free either in glass jars or canned.
- Organic Peaches: Peaches are another fruit found to have high pesticide contamination. Opt for organic peaches for better quality peaches.
- Sushi: It is important to be sure the sushi you are buying has been handled and treated properly to help avoid food borne illness. Paying more for better quality sushi can be live saving.
- Organic Raspberries: Raspberries have high pesticide deposits. Organic raspberries are worth the extra money.
- Organic Nectarines: Nectarines are also contaminated by pesticides. Buying organic nectarines will ensure you’re eating only healthy fruit.
- Organic Grapes: Buying organic grapes helps to reduce consuming dangerous chemicals.
- Organic Spinach: Organic spinach not only tastes much better and lasts longer in the refrigerator but also is pesticide chemical free.
- Organic Potatoes: Again high in concentrated insecticide residues. Organic potatoes might cost more but it’s worth not having the extra additives.
Buying food that is organic will cost more, but it is worth it to help protect yourself and your family from eating dangerous pesticides, chemicals, and hormones. Many of these contaminants to your food have been linked with heart disease, diabetes, and cancer and other diseases. Buying smart, by knowing which foods you should buy organic and spend more money on, is the best option for healthy eating.
Please encourage your readers to do their research before telling them to buy organic! Organic doesn’t always mean chemical free, there are certain chemicals, etc that are allowed depending on what you are classifying. Organic chicken isn’t always smaller by any means, I’m not sure where that statement comes from. Grass-fed beef WILL taste different than the beef you’re used to. You can have grain-fed or grain-finished beef that’s safe for you to eat.
Instead of pushing organics, please encourage your readers to research what kind of food & products they are buying!