The last few weeks we have been Snowed In A LOT! For us that means staying home and inside because it has been bitterly cold and the roads in our area don’t get cleared very quickly. In the midst of being home there are a few money saving lessons that I’ve learned that I am sure we can all benefit from just about any time of the year!
7 Lessons I learned by Staying at Home
- I spend Less Money — This seems really obvious, but the truth is that when I stay home I spend less. If you’re having a problem with your budget and over spending then maybe you need to cut out a few activities from your schedule. I shopped less, yes that even means not grabbing all the great “Deals” all the time, and we ate out less. Those two things along really helped the budget over the last month or so, I realized that I still have money left in all of my envelopes since we have been stuck inside so much lately!
- I care less about what other people think — I know I’m not “Supposed” to care what people think anyway, but the truth is in some ways we all do a little. But being stuck inside allowed me to spend time with my family without feeling like I was missing an activity, I also really enjoy the simplicity of not wearing makeup, or having a schedule to keep up with.
- I love to cook — Typically cooking is a necessity, and it’s stressful when you wait to the last minute or you’re trying to fit it in between activities. But I love to cook and bake especially when I’m snowed in and I enjoyed the time spent in the kitchen a lot more when it was at a slower pace.
- Being Content is Easier — When you aren’t in the stores there isn’t a temptation to ask or buy things. Being content is sometimes a matter of perspective. When we are snowed in we have everything we need and without the outside influences it’s easier to be content with exactly what you have.
- Family Matters — I love spending time with Family! I feel like we enjoyed our Holidays so much more because we were at home, We watched Christmas Movies, drank hot chocolate made Homemade Snow Ice Cream and all those other things I always wish we had time to do! Being snowed in with activities, Christmas programs and vacations canceled meant way more family time and we soaked it in!
- Kids don’t need toys — My Kids could spend Hours playing Old Fashioned Games, Building Forts, Helping me cook, etc. Dress Up and role playing are some of their favorite activities and they really don’t use their toys as much as I like to pretend they do.
- I have too much stuff — I’m working on a 15 day clutter challenge because when I’m home and everything gets pulled out you start to realize that less is more sometimes! So clearing out the clutter is on the agenda and Spring Cleaning might be massive around here this year :)
I know some of you are watching the weather expecting even more snow this week, but take some time to look around your home and enjoy the little things! There are so many lessons we can learn from being snowed in and getting back to the basics with our families and what matters most!