Lemon Peels are one of those things you would never think to get use out of once you remove it from the lemon, but if you use lemons often, or even if you use one every once in a while, put the lemon peel to work for you instead of just tossing it in the garbage.
Here are 10 Ways to Use Lemon Peels:
1) Trash Can Deodorizer – One of the most common ways to use a lemon peel is to throw it in the bottom of your trash can. Keeps it smelling fresh for days.
2) Ant Repellent – This is a great one to try if you currently have or ever have had issues with ants. Ants are known to not like lemon and will not enter your home if they smell lemon. Putting small slices of peel along window sills and other areas ants might enter your home to keep them away.
3) Lemon Vinegar Cleaner – This one is great! Fill a container (must have a lid) with lemon peels and pour in vinegar until the peels are covered. Let this sit for a couple weeks. Then remove the lemon peels and add water to the lemon vinegar. Use about a 50/50 ratio of lemon vinegar to water.
4) Lemon Sugar Body Scrub – Here is a great body scrub recipe if you liked the DIY Foot Scrub I posted before. Just mix 1/2 cup sugar with finely chopped lemon peel and enough oil olive to make the texture pasty. Rinse your body in the shower and then rub the body scrub all over your skin and rinse off. Leaves skin very soft!
5) Garbage Disposal Deodorizer – Toss the lemon peel into the garbage disposal to keep it smelling fresh! I know mine can sure use this from time to time.
6) Coffee Cup Stain Remover – If you have a coffee mug that has gotten a little stained from all the coffee, put some lemon peel into the mug and fill with water. After it sits for 2-3 hours, dump out water and lemon and wipe clean.
7) Chrome Polisher – if you have a lemon peel that still has some lemon on it, squeeze and rub onto tarnished chrome, either on your sink faucet or other chrome item you have. Then rinse and wipe off.
8) Microwave Cleaner – Add lemon peels to a microwave safe cup of water. Allow water to boil for 2-3 minutes or until plenty of water has condensed on the inside of the microwave. Then remove the cup and wipe down the microwave. Allows you to clean easier and leaves it smelling fresh.
9) Great Smelling Humidifier – Add lemon peels, cinnamon, orange peels and other smell good type items to boiling water to help humidify the air and make it smell great!
10) Skin Lightener – Lemon peels are known for lightening and brightening skin. Would be great to help lighten age spots and other dark areas of skin. Just apply a small piece to affected area and let sit for an hour.