Have you ever heard the stories about women who couldn’t change a tire? How about the mom who was left destitute after a tragedy happened to her husband?
Unfortunately, stories like these aren’t just stories. They happen each and every day to women all across the globe. This isn’t a matter of whether men are better at something than women are. It’s more of a matter of being prepared to handle just about anything on their own. These 15 skills that every woman should learn to do herself are ones that every woman should know how to do so you can be prepared for every situation. And a lot of these will actually save you money so it’s an added bonus all around!
15 Skills Every Woman Should Learn to Do Herself
1. Change a tire – Since it has already been mentioned, we’ll put it at the top of the list. You would be surprised at the number of women who can’t change a tire. Having the skill ensures that if you’re stranded some place without Triple A that you can get a temporary tire on without issue.
2. Jump start a car – Red goes where? Black does what? Along the same lines as changing a tire, jump starting a car should be high on your list to learn too.
3. Balance your checking account – With debit cards being so popular and the ability to pull up your bank in an app, it can be easy to forget to balance your checking account. Ease doesn’t always mean that something is better though. Not knowing how to balance your account (and/or not actually doing it) can lead to very big finances for you. Make certain you’ve got the knowledge to get it done and then go actually do it.
4. Cook – Yes. It’s true I’m afraid. Some women can’t simply because they’re never taught. Cooking from home is a sure fire way to cut your food bill so if you aren’t sure how to pull off dinner, consider taking a few cheap cooking classes (or just experiment in your kitchen.)
5. To Look Her Best – Can you apply eyeliner properly? How about hide the worst hair day possible? Every woman should learn how to choose their colors, apply makeup correctly and fix their hair in more than a ponytail. You may not use the skills every day, but when and if you need them, they will come in handy.
6. Manage a budget – The sheer amount of people (both men and women) who doesn’t know how to properly manage a budget is mind blowing. Knowing how to do so will protect a woman from financial disaster in her life.
7. Invest her money – Along with managing a budget, every woman should learn how to invest her money for her future. Investing builds wealth and wealth build a comfortable retirement.
8. How to say “no” – As women, it can be very hard for us to tell someone no when they ask if we can help with something or if the kids want something even if we’re stretched to the max. Learning to say “no” gracefully will help you be calmer, less stressed and have a bigger bank account in the long run.
9. CPR – Aside from the fact that learning CPR could save a family members life, it could also save a strangers. Classes are typically pretty affordable and you never know when you might need to use the knowledge.
10. Make minor home repairs – Sink clogged? Windows need sealed? Toilet constantly running? Learning how to do these small home repairs yourself means that you won’t have to rely on or pay someone else to do them.
11. Read a map and compass – In a world filled with GPS systems, map reading skills have gone the way of the Dodo bird for a large portion of people. Learning how to read one and how to read a compass to go with it will make certain that you can find your way home…even if you don’t have a GPS signal.
12. Do their taxes – Unless you are self-employed or run a large business, there is really no reason to pay someone to do your taxes. In fact, they’re actually not as scary as they may seem for the average family. Gather up your courage, brush up on your math skills and keep the money you would have paid a tax preparer to do them for you.
13. Change your oil (and other auto fluids) – Once you realize just how little work goes into changing the oil on your car? You’re going to question why you’ve been paying someone to do it. Ready? Slide under car, pull plug, drain oil, replace plug, and refill oil. Seriously. Learning how to change the oil, top off transmission fluid, fill the washer fluid and more can save you hundreds over the life of your car.
14. Find your best side – We’ve all got photos that simply don’t flatter us. To prevent that, learn which side you look best from, which stance favors you and everything else you need to know to rock out your pics.
15. Barter – Bartering is a skill that used to be fairly commonplace, but these days, not so much. Learning how to barter and negotiate for the things you want is a must have for any woman who doesn’t want to be taken advantage of in life. You’ll need them for everything from the used fridge you’re looking at buying to the “new”/used car that is sitting on the lot.
Last Updated on