Fall flavors are bursting from these soft and fluffy apple butter pancakes. Learn how to make homemade pancakes that will be a treat to serve up. Top your homemade apple butter hotcakes with pecans and a drizzle of syrup.
This apple butter pancake is flavored with warm spices, and let me just say they are phenomenal. Whip them up for breakfast or brunch, and watch them disappear in minutes.
Why This Recipe Is A Huge Hit
Flavor Packed – Talk about fall flavors! This apple butter recipe is a must make for apple butter fans. It is bursting with flavor, and a fun twist to a classic pancake recipe.
Fluffy – These pancakes are light and fluffy. They literally melt in your mouth. My kids and spouse love the texture. Nothing beats homemade when it comes to a pancake.
Freezer Friendly – This pancake recipe is freezer friendly. Which means you can make multiple batches and freeze any you don’t plan to eat right away.
- Apple Butter
- Baking Powder
- Syrup and Pecans for Topping (optional)
How to Make
A quick overview how to make, full directions are in the printable recipe card below.
First you will grab a bowl and mix together the apple butter, regular butter, milk and egg. Then add in dry ingredients and mix well.
Pour onto a hot griddle, and cook flipping once half way cooked. Follow the directions that are directed below. Once done, top with pecans and syrup.
How to Know When To Flip A Pancake
The edges of the pancake will begin to get bubbles on the sides. When those bubbles begin to pop, you will know it is time to flip your pancake over. Use a larger spatula, and flip kind of quickly and smooth movement, and then let the pancake cook for around the same time on the other side.
Helpful Tips For Making Pancakes
- Don’t overwork the batter as that can make the pancakes heavy.
- Ensure your griddle or pancake pan is nice and hot. This will help give your pancakes that golden color. If your pan is not hot or griddle, you will struggle to get the pancakes to cook properly, and they will be very pale in color.
- Grease your cooking space with a cooking spray, or add a dollop of butter and let it melt. Then add the batter, so your pancakes don’t stick.
- Adjust the spices or instead reach for an apple pie spice blend to use in replace of all the single spices.
How To Freeze Pancakes
If you are looking to freeze pancakes you will want to place the pancakes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Then flash freeze for an hour or so. Once the pancakes are harder, place in a freezer bag. Then freeze for 3-4 months.
To warm up you can warm it up in the microwave, or even in the toaster.
Looking for More Breakfast Recipes
- Tasty Breakfast Idea For Kids
- Cinnamon Breakfast Cake
- Sheet Pan Breakfast Ideas
- Low Carb Breakfast Ideas
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- Syrup & pecans if desired for topping
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together milk, apple butter, regular butter, and an egg until mixed completely.
- Gently sprinkle on flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Whisk everything together just until the lumps are gone and all ingredients are mixed together.
- Ladle onto a griddle set to 350 degrees and cook 3-4 minutes or until golden on each side.
- I find that usually I have to cook the second side a shorter amount of time than the first.
Spices - Swap the separate spices with apple pie spice to save a little time.
Pancake Size - Make your pancakes as small or big as you would like. Cook time will vary depending on how large or small you make.
Freezer Friendly - Freeze pancakes by flash freezing, then store in a sealed container or freezer bag for 3-4 months.