Organizing the garage is a relatively easy process if you are willing to put in the time. I’ve got 12 easy ways to organize to share with you today that I think will help you get your garage under control. Most people go in with a broom and no plan and come out frustrated. Take a look at your garage ahead of time and make some notes about where you have opportunities. Here are 12 quick ideas you can use to get started:
12 Easy Ways to Organize Your Garage
1. Use the space above – When you look at most garages, the space above is just beams and air. Why not use that space to hang things that are rarely used? Some folks hang a hammock to store things in and others use the beams if they are exposed.
2. Put drawers under the steps – If you have open backed steps, put in sliding drawers under the steps. This will give you storage for smaller items that will be totally hidden.
3. Use reels for cordage, ropes and etc – Rolling things like this up will make them tiny in comparison to the alternatives.
4. Go vertical with your wall space – When hanging things up, use that vertical space. You can generally go high up on the walls if you hang items that are rarely used. Maximize your space by using all of the walls.
5. Use magnets – Magnets are a wonderful way to store or hang tools and other easily lost items.
6. Use stud space – If you have unfinished walls in your garage, use the stud spaces to build shelves and extra storage. This natural space will double your storage space.
7. Invest in roomy toolboxes – Paying the extra money to have a good toolbox is a worthwhile thing when you have copious amounts of tools. They might be expensive, but you will have plenty of storage space.
8. Reduce wasted space – Another key to organizing your garage is maximizing your space. Look over your garage and ask yourself if there is wasted areas that can be improved. A simple eyeball test will generally be enough to recognize opportunities.
9. Utilize stackables – Simple plastic stackables that can be had at any large box retailer can make a huge difference in getting organized. Make a vertical stack in an area where you have dead space and get things put away!
10. Reduce the clutter – Garage organization begins and ends with decluttering. Get in there and throw out what you don’t need or use. That alone will free up space you did not know you had.
11. Update to smaller models – The newest tools are generally a good bit smaller and if you have lots of them, that makes a difference. Certainly most people can’t do this all at once, but over time it can add up.
12. Label your larger item spots – When it comes to bigger items on the wall, label them. This makes a huge difference because the largest items take up the majority of space. Having them where they belong consistently will open up the garage space. Make it easy for others that might be putting away your stuff on occasion.
Also, don’t miss these tips on preparing and getting ready for Kids Consignment Sales!