If you have ever been halfway through making dinner when you realize you our out of cream of chicken soup, you can use this Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup Recipe and avoid having to stop what you are doing and head to the store. Maybe if you are lucky, your husband is home and is willing to go, but it usually still puts a delay in the dinner making process.
You may not realize how simple it is to make your own. You may even decide it is easy enough to make your own that you don’t even need to buy the canned stuff anymore!
Here is how to Make your Own Cream of Chicken Soup!
This recipe will make about 3 cups, or 2 cans, of cream of chicken soup.Use this quick and easy recipe when you are cooking and realize you are out, or it may just become your “go to” for cream of chicken soup.The chicken broth you use can be from a can, or you can refrigerate the broth from an oven roasted or crock pot chicken. Just take the fat off the top before using.This is a great alternative to canned cream of chicken soup, especially if you plan out your menu in such a way that you can utilize the “free” broth from a baked chicken.
Print the Recipe Here:
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- About a tablespoon of seasoning. (I like to mix together onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper. You can change it up too!)
- Combine the chicken broth and a ½ cup of the milk in a large saucepan and heat to a low boil.
- While waiting for this to boil, whisk together the flour seasonings, and remaining milk until smooth.
- After broth and milk mixture starts to boil, reduce heat to low, and pour in the flour and milk mixture. Stir constantly until the mixture is smooth and starts to thicken. Usually about 5-10 minutes.
- The mixture will thicken a little more as it cools