Hot Chocolate Cookies are a cake mix based cookie that is flavored with hot chocolate and of course an iconic marshmallow topping. These hot chocolate cookies are going to be a hit this season.
These chocolate cookies are a great holiday cookie recipe, make for bake sales, and even gift boxes to send or gift to friends and loved ones. Plus they are a fun treat for a way to break up the work week.
Hot Chocolate Cookies
Gooey marshmallow hot chocolate cookies scream winter! If you are like me, and love a good cookie recipe, this one is gonna be a hit. Give it a try today.
More Winter Cookie Recipes To Try
Ingredients You Need
- Devil’s Food Cake – Devil’s Food is awesome for these cookies. You will find that a rich chocolate cake helps to elevate the flavor of the cookies. But even a classic chocolate cake will work.
- Marshmallows – I recommend using the large marshmallows, but if you don’t have any top with a few mini ones.
- Chocolate Candy – Chocolate chips you melt, or candy melts work for this. It is for drizzling on top of the cookies.
How to Make
Start by mixing up the cookie batter. The directions for this step are in the printable recipe card below.
Then you will refrigerate the cookie dough for about 30 minutes.
Use a cookie scoop and roll and place on cookie sheet. Bake for around 7 minutes.
Remove and top with marshmallows and then cook a couple more minutes.
Allow cookies to cool and then melt chocolate and drizzle on top.
You can store your cookies in an airtight container on the counter for a few days. The cookies will stay soft for 2-3 days then begin to dry out.
If you do not plan to eat right away, I do recommend freezing. The cookies can freeze 3-5 months. Thaw on the counter when you are ready to eat them.
Does This Recipe Double
If you want to make extra cookies, go right ahead and double the recipe. The biggest thing is batch cooking the cookies. The hot chocolate cookies will spread a bit as they cook so don’t crowd the pan.
Variations to Recipe
- Sprinkle the hot marshmallow with a few graham cracker crumbs for a fun tasty twist to the cookie.
- Instead of milk chocolate for the drizzle, do white chocolate on top.
- You can use a condiment squeeze bottle or piping bag. Or dip spoon in chocolate to drizzle. Any method works.
- Instead of a large marshmallow you can use mini marshmallows, or even marshmallow fluff.
- Drizzle with a sprinkle of sea salt to bring more flavor out in the cookies.
Quick and Cute Hot Chocolate Cookies
Quick and Cute Hot Chocolate Cookies are a simple and easy treat. These are the perfect winter cookie recipe. This hot cocoa recipe is always a hit in our house. The marshmallow on top is always a hit.
- 1 devil's food cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- large marshmallows
- chocolate or cocoa candy melts
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). In large bowl, mix cake mix, oil, vanilla and eggs with spoon until dough forms.
- Refrigerate dough 15 to 30 minutes. Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- On ungreased cookie sheets, place balls about 2 inches apart. Put in oven and remove after 7 minutes.
- Press 1/2 a marshmallow into the center of each one. Bake or 2-4 more minutes or until set.
- Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Drizzle melted chocolate or melted candy melts over the top of each cookie, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 165mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g