Consider making this money cake as a DIY money cake gift idea for a birthday. A great way to gift money in a fun and creative way. You can add as much or as little as you would like to this money cake DIY.
Learn how to make a money cake with supplies from Dollar Tree. This is super inexpensive to make, and the recipient won’t bat an eye when they find out there is no cake.
How to Make A Money Cake
Making this money cake isn’t too hard. I will walk you through how simple it is to make, and you don’t need to be too crafty. So, let me help get you set up for success making this money cake.
Start by gluing two floral foam pieces together. Then trace around the scrapbook paper. Adhere to the top of the foam topper to hide the foam with the scrapbook paper.
Then you will tape your bills around the edge of the cake, followed by a ribbon to secure the money.
Add a ribbon topper and party hat if you want, and gift!
Full directions are in the printable how-to below.
Variations To DIY Money Cake
- Swap out the $1 bills for others like $5, 10, $ ’20s, etc.
- Change up the colors of ribbon and scrapbook paper and more.
- Instead of topping with a party hat consider other cake topper ideas.
Want More Birthday Inspiration
- 10 Places to get a free smash cake for birthday
- Birthday Party ideas while social distancing
- Vanilla birthday cake
- LEGO birthday party ideas
- No Bake Birthday Cheesecake
How to Make a Money Cake
Learn how to make a money cake in no time. This is a fun and creative way to gift money to a loved one! Skip the gift card or just an envelope with cash.
- 3 pieces of 12x12 scrapbooking paper
- 2 smaller floral foam circles
- 2 larger floral foam circles
- $18-20 in one-dollar bills, depending on the amount you want to give and the size of the circles you choose,
- 1 12” disposable round cake tray
- Wide ribbon (length depending on the foam circles you choose)
- Curled gift ribbon, optional: mini party hat or cake topper
- Double Sided Tape
- Hot Glue
- Instructions: Hot glue the two matching sizes of floral foam together, and trace around each on the scrapbooking paper.
- Cut out the circle from the paper and adhere to the top of each floral foam circle.
- Hot glue the floral foam circles together, hot glue to the cake plate, and stick the dollar bills around the edges of the ‘cake’ using double-sided tape.
- Add the ribbon around each layer of cake, hiding the seam where the two layers of dollar bills are overlapping.
- Glue the ribbon onto itself using hot glue or adhere with double-sided tape. Add the ribbon topper and a mini party hat, if desired.