If you love candles, then you are probably like most people and have a few half empty candles laying around. The containers start to look a little black and they just aren’t as pretty anymore even though they may still smell great. Well now you can take those old candles and make a new pretty one!
When making your own candles you can either do so in a container in which the candle will stay, or you can use a candle mold in which you will remove the candle from when done.
What you need:
–Candle mold or container for new candle
–New candle wick
–Double boiler or two pans of different sizes
What to do:
- Melt your first candle down completely. You can do this using a double boiler or placing a smaller pot into a larger one filled with water. Just make sure the smaller pot is big enough to hold all the wax. If candle is still in a glass container you can also place the entire candle in a pot of boiling water.
- Place new candle wick in the new jar attach the tip to a Popsicle stick or pencil and lay over the top of your mold/container so it doesn’t fall over.
- Pour melted wax from first candle into the mold/container. Let cool.
- Melt down next candle and layer it over the first.
- Repeat until your container is full.
- Cut the wick and enjoy!
Your finished candle may look something like this! These can also be used to make some great homemade gifts!
Make sure you check out our Saving Money Blog and also our How to Coupon Page for more tips, tricks and videos on saving money and using coupons.
This is a great way to get the most out of your old candles, but you don’t mention the size of wick, which is actually crucial if your new candle is to burn well – it must be matched to the diameter of the candle.
Thanks for the idea! Im going to use my electric candle warmer to melt the old candles!