Make-Ahead Stuffed Shell Casserole is a delicious spinach stuffed shells that you bake up in the oven. Top with some fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese and ring that dinner bell.
This is a make-ahead pasta recipe but can also be baked right as you prepare it. Cheesy stuff pasta shells that will be the highlight of your dinner.
Stuffed Shells Casserole
Pasta is always a tasty meal option for us. You are able to whip up a dish you can pair with breadsticks, garlic bread, roasted veggies or even a tossed salad.
With this being a make-ahead casserole it allows you to really meal prep in a sense. Whether you prep and store in the fridge to cook that night. Or toss in the freezer for a meal down the line.
How to Make Stuffed Shells
Pasta | Start by cooking your pasta as directed on the back of the pasta shells box. Cook 2 minutes less than what is recommended. Drain and set aside.
Filling | In a bowl you will mix up your cheesy spinach filling. Once it is creamy and fully mixed you can start spooning or piping the mixture into cooked shells.
Bake or Store | When your pasta is fully stuffed top with marinara sauce and store in the fridge until ready to cook. Or toss in the preheated oven and bake.
Full measurements and instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
Can I Leave Out Spinach
Go ahead and leave out the spinach if you prefer. I think it adds delicious flavor but the shells can be great without.
Just mix up without spinach and stuff and cook the same exact way.
Can I Add Meat To Pasta Shells
If you want a meaty filling to go ahead and cook up ground beef or sausage in a skillet until fully cooked and no longer pink.
Drain off grease then mix in with the ricotta and cottage cheese. It will provide more filling for your shells. You will bake the same time and method.
What To Serve With Stuffed Shells
- Garlic bread
- Roasted or steamed vegetables
If you have leftovers in hand place them in the fridge in the proper container. Reheat till warm and serve.
You can save this dish as a quick grab and go meal, or toss it in the freezer for meal prep. Just allow the casserole to cook a bit then transfer to an airtight container.
Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight or reheat straight from frozen.
Freezer Meals and Meal Prepping
- Make Ahead Spinach and Tomato Tortellini
- 14 Make Ahead Breakfast Recipes
- Instant Pot Freezer Meals
- 36 Freezer Meals for Summer
- Easy Make Ahead Chicken Rigatoni
- 12 oz package jumbo shells, cooked 2 minutes less than package directions
- 12 oz frozen chopped spinach, defrosted with extra liquid pressed out
- 1 ½ cups cottage cheese
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 24 oz jar marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, half of the grated mozzarella, parmesan, salt, and pepper with a spoon.
- Stir in the spinach. Scoop 2 tablespoons of filling into each shell and place closely together in a small baking dish.
- Pour marinara over the top and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Bake covered in foil for 25 minutes and then bake uncovered 5 more minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 1055mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 23g