Having a New Year’s Party this year? Are kids included? Here are some New Years Party ideas to keep the kids entertained till midnight! Or until you are ready for them to go to sleep. :)
1) Be sure to decorate for the kids, and maybe have them help in the fun. Lots of ballons, streamers and have hats for the kids to wear.
2) Set up a “kid-friendly” area filled with age appropriate DVDs and games. Maybe some coloring books depending on the age. A dress-up area is also great for some younger kids.
3) Have some snacks available that they can just grab on their own if they get hungry or thirsty. Even the kids can celebrate with some “bubbly”. They can’t have champagne but they can have a little bubbly. The plastic champagne glasses you can get at party stores work great, and you can do some ginger ale or sparkling juice.
4) Keep in mind that even if the kids won’t be staying up until midnight, they should still get a countdown. This works great if you are on the West Coast and you can count down with the East Coast celebrations. Or you can find a copy of a previous years countdown on youtube and replay.
5) One great New Year’s activity for the entire family is a time capsule. You can plan to open it next year or ten years from now. Either way will be a fun tradition to start.
6) Of course you need some noise makers for when the ball drops! You can buy or make noisemakers for the kids to use. You may also want special decorations just for the countdown like streamers and party poppers that shoot out confetti.
7) You can have a table set up at the party to do some crafts that can then be used later in the evening to help celebrate. Here are some great ideas for homemade noisemakers and confetti poppers:
You can also make homemade confetti poppers. Here is an example of one you can make with a paper towel roll. Another fun way to use confetti at a party is to fill balloons, blow them up, and let the kids pop them and see the confetti fly.
Whatever you plan to do at your New Year’s Eve party, just make sure it’s safe! Kids can have fun doing just about anything but the more you have planned out ahead of time the more you may be able to enjoy yourself with the adults. :)