Are you looking for a Fun 4th of July Recipe for your cookout an celebrations? We put together these simple American Flag Cookies Recipe with just a few simple ingredients and I wanted to quickly share how you can make your own!
I’m kinda a cheater when it comes to recipes, I love making things that look homemade without the trouble, and when you’re in a hurry (Read, Busy Mom of 3 Kids) You do what you can to keep things simple. So I used the Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix because it’s my Favorite and then colored half of the dough Red and Half Blue, then I made a second batch and left it white so that I could create the flag pattern I wanted.
Then I used a Loaf Pan to measure out even squares, You need 3 Red, 3 White that are the same size as the loaf pan, then 4 Blue that are Half the Width of the larger rectangles. (You’re actually going to cut one of each of the larger Red & White pieces in half so you have 2 large and 2 small of each color)
Next Layer your Pieces together, You’ll layer White, Red, White Red, Then use the Half Pieces and layer Half Blue/Half White, Half Blue/Half Red, Half Blue/Half White & Finally Half Blue/Half Red.
You’ll want to place it in the Fridge to harden before cutting into slices.
I used Dental Floss to cut my flags apart, If you have a sharp knife you can also use that, The Dental Floss is just quick and easy, the only thing I noticed is that the center point where the final cut happens is a little Swirled so you may have better luck with a Knife.
Watch this Video to see how to assemble these cookies —>
Here’s the recipe & Full Set of Directions for you to print:
- 2 Bags of Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix
- 2 Sticks of Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup of Flour
- Red & Blue Food Coloring
- Loaf Pan
- Clear Plastic Wrap
- Make Both Bags of Sugar Cookie Mix according to directions, Add 1 Cup of Flour to stiffen dough so that it will hold it’s shape when baking.
- You need 1/4 of the dough blue then divide the remaining dough and leave half white and half red.
- Place in separate bowls and add Food Coloring
- Roll Out Dough to about 1/4″ Thick
- Cut 3 Even Red Shapes using the Loaf Pan as a Guide
- Cut 3 Even White Shapes the same size
- Cut 1 of each of the red and white shapes in half lengthways
- Cut 2 Even Blue Shapes & Then Cut Both Shapes in half so you have 4 pieces
- Line Loaf Pan with Cling Wrap & Spray with Cooking Spray
- Layer Dough into the Loaf Pan White, Red, White Red, Then use the Half Pieces and layer Half Blue/Half White, Half Blue/Half Red, Half Blue/Half White & Finally Half Blue/Half Red.
- Place in Fridge to Chill for 2-4 Hours
- Use Dental Floss or a Sharp Knife to Slice Cookies into 1/4″ Slices
- Place on a Cookie Sheet Lined with Parchment Paper
- Bake at 350 for 13-15 Minutes