This American Flag Cookies Recipe for 4th of July are a festive dessert for your July 4th gathering! They’re also super cute for Memorial Day Cookies!
Are you looking for a Fun 4th of July Recipe for your cookout and celebrations? We put together these simple American Flag Cookies Recipe with just a few ingredients and I wanted to quickly share how you can make your own!
I’m kind of a cheater when it comes to recipes. I love making things that look homemade without the trouble! When you’re in a hurry you do what you can to keep things simple. So I used the Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix because it’s my favorite and then colored half of the dough Red and half of the dough Blue. Then I made a second batch and left it white so that I could create the flag pattern I wanted.
Then I used a Loaf Pan to measure out even squares. You need 3 Red rectangles and 3 White rectangles that are the same size as the loaf pan. Then you need 4 Blue that are half the width of the larger rectangles. (You’re actually going to cut one of each of the larger Red & White pieces in half so you have 2 large and 2 small of each color).
Next, layer your pieces together. You’ll layer White, Red, White Red, then use the half pieces and layer half Blue/half White, half Blue/half Red, half Blue/half White & finally half Blue/half Red.
You’ll want to place it in the fridge to harden before cutting into slices.
I used Dental Floss to cut my flags apart. If you have a sharp knife you can also use that. The Dental Floss is just quick and easy. The only thing I noticed is that the center point where the final cut happens is a little Swirled so you may have better luck with a Knife.
Watch this Video to see how to assemble these cookies —>
Here’s the recipe & Full Set of Directions for you to print:
- 2 Bags of Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix
- 2 Sticks of Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup of Flour
- Red & Blue Food Coloring
- Loaf Pan
- Clear Plastic Wrap
- Make both Bags of Sugar Cookie Mix according to directions (in separate bowls).
- Add 1/2 Cup of Flour to each bowl to help stiffen the dough so that it will hold it's shape when baking.
- Divide one set of cookie dough into two bowls.
- Add blue food coloring into one and red into the other.
- Leave the 3rd bowl with no food coloring.
- Roll Out Dough to about 1/4" Thick.
- Cut 3 Even Red Shapes using the Loaf Pan as a Guide.
- Cut 3 Even White Shapes the same size.
- Cut 1 of each of the red and white shapes in half lengthways.
- Cut 2 Even Blue Shapes & Then Cut Both Shapes in half so you have 4 pieces.
- Line Loaf Pan with Cling Wrap & Spray with Cooking Spray.
- Layer Dough into the Loaf Pan White, Red, White Red, Then use the Half Pieces and layer Half Blue/Half White, Half Blue/Half Red, Half Blue/Half White & Finally Half Blue/Half Red.
- Place in Fridge to Chill for 2-4 Hours
- Use Dental Floss or a Sharp Knife to Slice Cookies into 1/4" Slices.
- Place on a Cookie Sheet Lined with Parchment Paper.
- Bake at 350 for 13-15 Minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 171mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g