Ok, y’all- this Garlic Parmesan Mac and Cheese is SO flavorful and creamy. It’s my new go-to macaroni recipe when I want something other than traditional macaroni and cheese. With spices and two kinds of cheese, it tastes amazing and the texture is perfect. I have step by step directions below, or you could scroll down to the recipe card, too!
How to Make Garlic Parmesan Macaroni and Cheese
It’s so easy to make this Garlic Parmesan Mac and Cheese. You don’t need any complicated ingredients for this recipe, which is nice!
Ingredients for Garlic Parmesan Mac and Cheese
- Elbow macaroni
- Butter, salted
- Minced garlic
- Mustard powder
- Garlic powder
- Heavy whipping cream
- Milk, 2% or Whole
- Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
In a medium pot, boil macaroni noodles until al dente. Depending on the noodles you use, the time you need to boil it could differ between 9-12 minutes. (The noodle package will tell you how long you need to boil them.) Drain the noodles and set aside.
After that, in another medium pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in garlic cloves with a whisk and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and mustard powder. This will be the base for the sauce on the Garlic Parmesan Macaroni and Cheese.
Gradually add both the milk and heavy cream, whisking to combine. Next, heat mixture over medium heat until it bubbles. Reduce heat to low, add in cheeses, and stir until melted. Remove from heat, add cooked noodles to cheese mixture and stir to combine. (In case the mixture is too thick, add 1-2 tablespoons of milk to thin it out.) Serve immediately.
What kind of cheese to use in Garlic Parmesan Mac and Cheese?
This Garlic Parmesan Macaroni and Cheese has a white-based sauce, so I used both Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese.
More Amazing Pasta Recipes!
- Creamy Italian Chicken Pasta – With Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad – With the best homemade Caesar dressing I have ever tasted!
- Parmesan Tomato Tortellini Soup – An easy no-fuss weeknight recipe!
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup vitamin D milk
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- In a medium pot, cook noodles until al dente. The box of noodles will tell you how many minutes, as cooking time depends on the size and shape of the noodle. Then, drain and set aside.
- In another medium pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in minced garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, or until garlic becomes aromatic. Do not let the garlic get brown. After that, whisk in flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and mustard powder.
- Slowly add milk and heavy cream, whisking to combine. Heat mixture over medium heat until it bubbles.
- Reduce heat to low, add in cheeses, and stir until melted. Remove from heat, add cooked noodles to cheese mixture and stir to combine. If mixture is too thick, add 2-2 more tablespoons of milk and stir. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 347mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g