Check out this 3 ingredient Dr. Pepper Poke cake! A fun and delicious chocolate cake that has a delicious Dr. Pepper flavor in every single bite. Whip this up for a potluck dessert, summer cookout, or even a birthday bash.
Why Make This Dr. Pepper Poke Cake
- Simple ingredients
- Quick Recipe
- Stores Well
- Freezer Friendly
What Is A Poke Cake
A poke cake is where you bake a cake, and then take a wooden spoon and poke holes all over the cake. Then you will mix up the filling and pour it over the cake. All the holes the mixture will soak into the cake.
Top with whipped cream, and sprinkle with chocolate shavings. Slice and serve a moist delicious flavorful cake.
The Flavor of Cake To Use
For this dessert, I reached for a chocolate cake. Personally, I reached for a Devil’s Food cake, so it was ultra-rich and bursting with flavor. I recommend using any chocolate flavor, or you could use a white cake if you prefer.
Can I Use Cherry Dr. Pepper
Feel free to use cherry Dr. Pepper if you would prefer to use that instead of a classic Dr. Pepper! It will add a fun spin to the cake. You could even add some maraschino cherries to the top of the cake.
Tips For Baking Cake
- When pouring the mixture over the cake focus on the holes you poke in the cake.
- Make sure to place even holes all over the cake.
- Store the cake in the fridge for 3-4 days. You need to make sure to cover the cake.
- Feel free to use cherry Dr. Pepper instead of plain.
How to Know When Cake Is Done
Take a toothpick and stick it in the cake, and if the toothpick comes out clean the cake is done. You will also find the cake pulls away from the sides a bit.
How to Freeze Cake
For the cake, you will want to cover and place it in a freezer-friendly container. Place the cake in the freezer for around 3-4 months. Slice and serve up as you would like. The cake will thaw for around an hour on the counter or place in the fridge overnight.
- Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 12 oz (or 1 1/2 cups) Dr. Pepper
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Cool Whip
- Chocolate Bar for shaving on top of cake, if desired
- Grease the bottom only of a 9x13 pan. In a medium mixing bowl, combine cake mix and Dr. Pepper. Beat on medium speed with a hand or stand mixer for two minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cake begins to pull away from the edges of the pan and the top looks dry in the middle.
- Poke holes with a wooden spoon or something the same diameter. Pour sweetened condensed milk over the entire top of the cake, paying special attention to the holes.
- Let cool completely and frost with Cool Whip.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 340mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g