These ghost popcorn balls are so easy and the perfect dessert that screams Halloween fun. Whip up these popcorn balls that are dipped in white chocolate and topped with candy eyes.
A no bake Halloween treat that is fun, easy, and adorable. Your kids will love these ghost popcorn balls.
What is a popcorn ball?
Popcorn balls are a popcorn that is mixed with marshmallows and butter and then formed into a ball. Then you will add on some white chocolate for the ghost look and candy eyes.
Popcorn balls are bursting with sweetness. It’s a must make treat.
These Popcorn Balls Are
- Kid Friendly Halloween Dessert
- Gluten Free
- No bake dessert
- Halloween Themed Treat
Popcorn – You will want to pop up some popcorn. I recommend using plain popcorn, not loaded with butter. Lightly sated is fine.
Marshmallows – The marshmallows are going to help stick the popcorn together and allow you to shape into balls.
Butter – Not only does the butter add flavor but it allows to make a mess sticky mess as you are shaping your balls.
White chocolate – The white chocolate is going on top of the balls to act as the ghost. I recommend candy melts as it will harden nicely.
Candy Eyes – Candy eyes are found in the candy aisle by the frosting and sprinkles. You can also order these online to ship to your home.
How to Make
This is a quick walk through on how to make these popcorn balls. The full measurements and directions for recipe are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Start by popping up your popcorn and then you will move on to making the marshmallow base.
Melt butter and then add marshmallows and mix until melted. Then stir in the popcorn and mix till the popcorn is fully coated.
Next, you will shape your popcorn mixture into balls. I find putting a little butter or cooking spray on your hands helps to create a non-stick surface.
Now, dip your popcorn balls in melted chocolate. Sit on a wax lined cookie sheet or counter. Then add on 2 eyes while chocolate is still wet.
Once the marshmallow Halloween ghost balls are fully set up serve and enjoy!
What Type of Popcorn To Use
You can use your own popcorn maker or buy bagged popcorn. If you do buy bagged popcorn get a plain style. Don’t do butter or flavored as it will affect the flavor of your popcorn balls.
Does This Recipe Double
Go right ahead and make as much or as few as you would like. These are a fun party dessert for Halloween bashes! Get creative and do as many as you want for snacking on for events, during the week, etc.
Variations to Recipe
- Use different colored melting chocolate. You could do green for a monster, then add more eyes on each ball.
- Add in some mini marshmallows to the popcorn right before shaping. Then it will add a chewier texture as some marshmallows won’t be melted.
- You can stir in candies like M&Ms or even chocolate chips to give more flavor to Marshmallow treats.
Storing Popcorn Balls
If you do not eat all your popcorn balls right away you will want to store them in an airtight container on the counter. The popcorn balls can last around 4-7 days. You will find the popcorn becomes stale after so long.
Ghost Popcorn Balls
Ghost popcorn balls are an easy and delicious Halloween no bake treat. A sweet marshmallow popcorn ball dipped in white chocolate. These Halloween ghosts are so easy and simple to make.
- 16 cups popped popcorn (about 1 standard size bag of popcorn)
- 1 10 oz bag of mini marshmallows
- 1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup)
- 1 package white candy melts
- Edible candy eyes
- Place the butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Melt in 30 second intervals until completely melted.
- Add marshmallows and stir to coat with butter. Microwave in 30 second intervals until marshmallows are completely melted. Stir to combine and add popcorn. Stir with a spatula until the popcorn is coated. Butter your hands and form the popcorn into balls.
- Place the popcorn balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper. Allow the balls to cool and set completely.
- (30 minutes to 1 hour) Melt the white candy melts according to the package. (You can add a spoonful of shortening or coconut oil help thin the chocolate, if desired.)
- Dip the tops of the popcorn balls into the melted chocolate and set to cool on the baking sheet.
- Allow the chocolate to set for 1-2 minutes before adding candy eye balls.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 2g