This Gratitude Door Idea for Kids is such an easy yet meaningful way to countdown to Thanksgiving each November! There are several ways your family can do this activity, and I’ll tell you about them below! Our printable is totally free, so all you need for this activity is our pdf and a few simple supplies you most likely already have at home!
How to Make a Gratitude Door Turkey for Kids
It’s really very easy to do this activity with your kids for Thanksgiving! First, gather your supplies:
Supplies for the Thanksgiving Door for Kids
Instructions for the Gratitude Door for Kids
First, print out our free printable turkey. If you want to do more than 8 days of a countdown, simply print out more feathers. You could start counting down at the beginning of November, if you’d like to!
Next, cut out all of the pieces and tape the turkey to your child’s door! Don’t add the feathers yet, though! You’ll tape those on one at a time each day leading up to Thanksgiving. Keep in mind that you might want to tape the turkey at your child’s level, either so they can add the feathers or so they can easily read the feather that you add each day. (More on those optional ways to do the Gratitude Door below!)
Optional Ways to make the Turkey Gratitude Door for Kids
- Like I mentioned above, you can use this count down however many days you’d like, whether it’s 8 or the entire month of Thanksgiving!
- Either you or your children could write on the feathers. This will depend on the age of your child and whether or not you want to surprise your child every morning with a new feather.
- You can either have your child write something they’re thankful for on every feather OR you could write something you’re grateful about relating to your child. (Example: I’m so grateful for your hugs! I’m so grateful that you do your chores without being asked! And so on.)
- You could have your child add a feather each day OR surprise them on Thanksgiving morning with all the feathers on at once! (Personally, I am partial to the countdown way of doing this activity.)
More Thanksgiving Activities for Kids
- Turkey Painting Activity for Kids – This is a fun one which can also be done outside!
- M&M Gratitude Game – Bonus: Whomever plays gets a sweet treat after the game!
- Family Gratitude Pumpkin Idea – This is my FAVORITE Thanksgiving tradition ever.
- DIY Thankful Tree – This activity doubles as a centerpiece!
Did you try this activity? Tag me in your Instagram photos! I’d love to see what your family is grateful for this year!
- Free Gratitude Turkey Printable
- Print out Free Turkey Printable
- Cut out all pieces.
- Tape the turkey body, head, feet, and wings on the door, leaving the feathers to write on later.
- Have your children write on a feather each day and add it to the body!
There are several optional ways to do this activity, which I have gone into detail about in this post!