Do you have overripe bananas sitting in your kitchen right now? If so, give this quick and easy Healthy Chunky Monkey Muffins recipe a try. Loaded with mashed bananas, Greek yogurt, honey, cocoa powder, and of course the chocolate chips. This is a healthy muffin recipe your kids will gobble right up!
A healthy kid-friendly muffin you can pack in your child’s lunch, serve up after school, or a dessert for after dinner. These muffins don’t require much prep, and are freezer friendly.
Why This Chunky Monkey Muffins Recipe Is A Hit
Nutrient Rich – Did you know bananas are great for your bones, good source of potassium, and other vitamins and minerals. Bananas are also a great way to have healthy bowels.
Chocolate Flavor – The cocoa mixed in along with the chocolate chips helps to richen up the flavor of the muffins to mask other flavors. So the chocolate sweetens it, they don’t fuss over the banana flavor.
Simple Ingredients – Raid your pantry and fridge and you might have all the supplies on hand already.
Freezer Friendly – These muffins are freezer friendly. Which means make up a batch or two, and then freeze any muffins you don’t plan to eat right away. Then thaw on the counter or in the fridge for a tasty muffin whenever you want.
Ingredients You Need
- Ripe Bananas
- Greek Yogurt
- Almond Milk
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Mixing Bowl
- Stand or Hand Mixer (Or can whisk it)
- Muffin Tin (check out these recipes to make with a muffin tin)
- Muffin Liners
- Measuring Cups
How to Make
To make these chunky muffins, all you need to do is preheat the oven as directed in the recipe card below. Prep pan and set aside.
Then mash up your ripe bananas in a bowl, add in the egg, yogurt, milk, honey and vanilla and mix well.
Add in the dry ingredient, and mix till fully combined.
Stir in the chocolate chips, and then spoon into the muffin liners. Bake as directed.
Once done, let the muffins cool, and then serve and enjoy.
How to Ripen Bananas Fast
Place your bananas in the peel on a baking sheet that is covered in aluminum foil. Place the bananas in the oven at 250 degrees. Let the bananas cook for 15 minutes and then check them.
You want the peels to be black, and when you touch the banana feels soft. Once the bananas are blackened, remove and allow to cool. Then mash up and use for banana desserts such as these muffins.
Storing Leftover Muffins
Since these muffins have banana in them, I prefer to store the muffins in the refrigerator. It helps to make the muffins last longer. If you don’t want to store in the fridge they will store at room temperature for 1-2 days. If stored in the fridge they can last 4-5 days.
Freezing muffins are a great way to save them as well. Place in a freezer container or sealable bag. Freeze for 3-4 months.
Expert Tips And Variations To Recipe
- Use a toothpick to check the doneness of your muffins. Just stick the toothpick in and if it comes out clean of wet batter the muffins are done. There might be a little chocolate on it from melted chocolate chips.
- Let the muffins fully cool, then store in an airtight container. If you place in container when still warm condensation will built and sog up the muffins.
- Consider swapping dark chocolate chips with peanut butter chips, white chocolate, or even a milk or semi-sweet chocolate.
- Add in a few chopped pecans or even walnuts for crunch.
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 container (8 oz) Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour (whole wheat or white)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, dark
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease muffin tins or line with cupcake liners. In a medium mixing bowl, mash bananas well.
- Add eggs, greek yogurt, milk, honey, and vanilla. Stir well. Sprinkle flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt on top and gently fold in just until combined.
- Add chocolate chips just until combined. Avoid over mixing.
- Fill muffin tins evenly (should make 12 muffins) and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 198Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 269mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 5g