Made with three simple ingredients, this homemade vapor rub for your chest is amazing.
I was first introduced to this homemade vapor rub by my massage therapist. At my first appointment, I saw she had a shelf of essential oils and uses them on her clients. I was telling her about my son’s cold and stuffy noses and she offered to make me a chest rub for him. At my next appointment I went home feeling relaxed and with a pot of this homemade vapor rub and the oils to make it.
And when I caught my son’s cold a few weeks later, I grabbed this homemade vapor rub and generously rubbed it on my chest and under and around my nose. My nose was dry and raw from blowing it all day and this vapor rub added moisture that I desperately needed.
When you first use this vapor rub, you might be used to the store-bought consistency and you’ll think the oil in the jar is too hard but within seconds of applying it onto your skin, your body heat will melt it perfectly to rub onto your skin. Jab your finger into the jar and grab a dollop and by the time you set it on your chest, it will already be melting. I usually always add this in and around my nose. The peppermint instantly helps to clear my sinuses. The eucalyptus oil is a powerful decongestant and the coconut oil really adds moisture to my nose.
This also works great on sore muscles (apply directly to the area) and as a headache relief when rubbed on your temples.
As with any peppermint based product, you’ll want to use caution if you go outside in the cold weather with exposed skin you’ve rubbed this homemade vapor rub on. The cool air can make it feel very cool and sometimes uncomfortable. Especially be careful with children.Print
This is a very effective homemade vapor rub for your chest made with three simple ingredients.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 30 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- small 1.5-2 oz glass jar and lid
- Place coconut oil in your jar. Remove from jar and place into a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 10 seconds and stir until completely melted. If necessary, return to the microwave and microwave in 5 second increments until completely melted.
- Add eucalyptus and peppermint oils and stir well.
- Pour into container and place into the refrigerator until coconut oil is set up.
- Liberally apply to chest as needed for cough and congestion.
- Store at room temperature.