One of my favorite things when I was little were the Cookies on a Stick Stores, We no longer have these in our area, so I thought I would recreate the Cookies on a Stick for my Kids.
Here’s what you need:
Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix (My Favorite)
Royal Icing Recipe
Decorating Bottles for Flooding Icing
Sucker Sticks from Wilton
Here’s the Royal Icing Recipe I used:Print
- 1/2 Cup Cold Water
- 1/4 Cup Meringue Powder
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- Beat the Meringue Powder and Cold Water until Peaks form
- Add in Powdered Sugar Slowly until the consistency you want is developed.
- For Colors: Add in 3 Tbsp. Water and Food Coloring and Blend Well.
Remember to Make the Icing Thick for the White Piping and Then add water and food coloring to the same icing for the flooding red and blue icing.
How to Make Cookies on a Stick:
1) Start by making your Favorite Sugar Cookie Mix.
2) Roll out the Sugar Cookies Thinner than you would normally. About 1/2 the normal thickness.
3) Cut out 2 Shapes the exact same size.
4) Layer one cookie, then a stick, then another cookie on top when placing your cookies on the baking sheet. This will keep your cookies well attached to your sticks. It also helps keep the sticks from showing through the cookies, you can press the stick down into the bottom layer of cookie.
5) Bake Cookies according to your Recipe and allow cookies to cool completely.
6) Pipe White Icing Around the Edge of your Cookies and allow to harden about 12 hours.
7) Add Food Coloring and Water to thin your icing and place in Decorating Bottles
8) Fill the Inside of the White Piping with the thinner icing and allow to cool completely.
The Royal Icing will harden so that the cookies will be easy to move and handle when they are completely dry. You can use this method with any type of cookie so don’t forget to use these over and over again for every holiday!
You can also Follow me on Pinterest, and check out my 4th of July Recipes and Ideas Board!