A summer without bugs would like……the perfect summer. Keep those pesky mosquitoes away this summer with a citronella candle you made yourself!
Here is How to Make Your Own Citronella Candle:
What you Need:
Long Candle Wicks
Citronella Essential Oil (This is NOT fragrance oil. You need to get essential oils from a health food store.)
Any glass jars or old candle containers
What you Do:
1) Position your wick in the jar. Tie the top of the wick to a chopstick or pencil and lay over the opening of the jar to keep it straight. You can also secure the wick to the bottom of the jar with hot glue.
2) Melt wax in a double boiler. Stir constantly as it will melt quickly.
3) Once completely melted, add about 5 drops of Citronella Essential Oil.
4) Once everything is completely mixed, pour mixture into the jar with the wick.
5) Allow to cool and harden.And that’s it!
Now you have a great smelling way to keep the bugs away this summer!
You can make the candles in colored jars, or little containers to match the theme of a summer party you are having. They will make great decoration PLUS keep the bugs away. For example, check out the dollar store to see if you can find little red, white and blue tin pails and make some festive candles for a 4th of July get together.
If you want to get really creative, you can also melt crayons into the wax to make color candles. There is a lot of things you can do with that too. Pink or blue for a outdoor summer baby shower. Lots of possibilities rather than just the plain yellow ones you normally find in stores.So have fun with it and get creative. Plus you’ll find these homemade citronella candles work better than those at the store!