I have a love affair with anything red velvet, and this red velvet cookie recipe is a must make this Valentine’s Day. It is topped with a Hugs Hershey’s Kiss. Colorful, soft, and a decadent treat that young and old can agree on. Red velvet meets chocolate chip cookies is what I call it with a Hugs Hershey’s chocolate on top.
I won’t say no to red velvet cake, Oreo truffles, or any cookie or brownie that comes my way. With a few attempts, I feel like I created a for sure winner on a red velvet cookie recipe. These are not only pretty to the eye, they sure do taste fantastic. Make these for a bake sale, Valentine’s Day treat, school parties, after-school snacks and more.
Simple Red Velvet Cookies Recipe
To me, nothing beats a tried and true cookie recipe. I have a handful of my classic recipes that I keep on hand for when I am craving sweet or I know I have an event or guests coming over. With a chilled dough, these balls roll up nice and bake until they are nice and puffy. Drop your Hugs Hershey’s on top, and you are ready to dig in.
Does Red Velvet Taste Like Chocolate
Red velvet does have a mild chocolate flavor.
These cookies contain cocoa, which helps bring out the vibrant red color. Now when you see red velvet our minds can tell us it isn’t chocolate, but when we bite it, you find it is a very mild flavor of chocolate. If you close your eyes and then try a bite, you might taste the cocoa paired with the chocolate chips.
Can You Freeze Red Velvet Cookies
Yes! These cookies will freeze nicely. Just allow the cookies to cool and then place in a freezer bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and enjoy when you want. I love having cookies on hand that I can pull out and thaw in case of a need for unexpected guests or a 2 pm sweets craving.
How Do You Make Red Velvet Cookies
Ingredients for Red Velvet Cookies
- 1 ¾ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 Stick Butter, Softened
- ¾ Cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Tbsp. Milk
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. Red Food Coloring
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- 18-24 Hershey’s Hugs, Unwrapped (White Chocolate with Chocolate stripes)
Directions for Red Velvet Cookies
- In a Kitchenaid Mixer combine Butter, Sugar and Brown Sugar until well mixed and creamy.
- Add in Egg, Milk, Vanilla and Red Food Coloring and beat again until well mixed.
- In a Large Measuring Cup or Bowl combine Flour, Cocoa, Salt, and Baking Soda and mix well.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients to the dough, mixing carefully as you go. Stir in the Chocolate Chips.
- Chill Dough for 1 hour – 24 hours in the Refrigerator
- Roll Dough into 1-1 ½” Balls and place on a Parchment Lined Cookie Sheet about 2” apart.
- Bake at 350 Degrees for 12 Minutes
- Remove From Oven and Press Hershey’s Hugs into the Top of the cookies while still hot
- Allow Cookies to Cool before serving.
- You can also sprinkle cookies with sprinkles or sugar for an added effect while they are still warm.
Ooey-gooey and soft cookies are what you will get with this simple recipe. Trust me, you will be thanking me later for this easy and outstanding cookie recipe.
More Tasty Valentine’s Day Goodies