Tie Dye Nake Cake is a gorgeous and bright colorful layered cake. A colored vanilla cake that offers a stunning tie-dye pattern. The frosting is a three-ingredient whipped frosting!
If you love tie-dye desserts you might want to check out my tie dye pancakes, 21 tie dye recipes, or my colorful tie dye s’ mores! We love bright and fun colors. These are all really fun desserts to try out.
Tie Dye Naked Cake
This is a great cake for an upcoming birthday, celebration, or even a fun cake for an after-dinner dessert! This Rainbow cake will not disappoint, and best of all no piping skills for frosting are required! Easy peasy!
How to Make A Tie Dye Cake
Step 1: Prepare your boxed cake mix as directed on the back of the box. Each box cake might vary a little bit so you can mix it as directed on the back of the box.
Step 2: Once the batter is fully mixed you will pour the cake mix into smaller bowls so you can add food coloring to each. Add your gel color to each bowl to make it as bright as you would like.
Step 3: Now you can pour the batter into piping bags, and use that to get all the colors mixed throughout your pan. Or you can carefully pour it in, and then use a toothpick or end of butter knife to swirl it together.
Bake for 22-28 minutes or until the cake is fully baked.
Step 4: Once your cake is done, place on a cooling rack and allow it to cool. Then you can remove the cake once cooled, and cut into equal fourths.
Step 5: After it is cut you can whip up your frosting. Then you can begin to stack your whipped topping, and then pipe or decorate!
Storing Leftover Cake
Due to this cake having a whipped cream in the frosting, you need to refrigerate the leftover cake. Just make sure to store in an airtight container to keep it from drying out. Then store in the fridge for up to a week.
Can You Freeze Leftovers
You can absolutely freeze any leftover cake you have. Place in a proper freezer-friendly container and freeze up to 2-3 months. Thaw in the fridge or a quick thaw on the counter.
Variations to This Tie Dye Cake
- Use a homemade cake instead of boxed
- Get creative with any colors you want
- Swap out the whipped frosting with a buttercream or any other of your favorite
- Color your frosting for even more fun colors
- Add sprinkles on top
There are so many fun and easy ways to transform this cake to match what you are looking for. Give this recipe a try, and let me know how you chose to decorate and serve!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Gel food coloring
- 1 large tub Cool Whip
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- More powdered sugar, as needed
- Preheat to 325 degrees or according to your cake mix directions.
- Grease and flour sides and bottom of 9x13 pan. Blend cake mix, water, oil and egg whites in a large bowl at low speed until moistened and then
medium speed for two minutes.
- Separate batter into three bowls. Add gel food coloring little by little until you reach your desired intensity of color.
- Put batter into three piping bags and pipe into pan, alternating the colors for a tie dye effect. Use a toothpick or the end of a butter knife to gently swirl the colors.
- Bake for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool and remove from pan. Cut the very top off the cake so it is the same height from the sides to the middle. Then, cut cake into equal fourths.
Put Cool Whip and powdered sugar into large mixing bowl. Gently fold in the ingredients together with a mixing spoon or spatula. (Do not use a beater or you will break the Cool Whip and it will lose its whipped consistency!)
- Add more powdered sugar as needed until it reaches your preferred
- Put into a piping bag and pipe the frosting in between the four
layers of cake.
- Pipe peaks of frosting on top. Leave the edges of the cake
- Now you have a 4-layer tie dye naked cake without having to use any fancy
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 35mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 0gSugar: 35gProtein: 1g