Dress up Taco Tuesday with a new Tex-Mex inspired dinner. Chicken taco Alfredo is a pan seared seasoned chicken that is smothered in a creamy homemade Alfredo sauce.
The taco seasoned chicken adds so much flavor to the chicken and pairs perfectly with the pasta and sauce.
What makes this chicken and pasta dish even better? It is very simple to make. So grab your ingredients and let’s get cooking!
What Ingredients Do I Need
Chicken – You will want to use a skinless and boneless chicken. Tenderloins or breasts work great for this recipe.
Taco seasoning – You can buy taco seasoning or make homemade. If you have leftover seasoning you can discard.
Pasta – Any shape of pasta works. Just cook the pasta as directed on the package.
Rotel – Rotel is canned diced tomatoes with green chiles. If you can’t find it, do one 15 ounce canned petite diced tomatoes, and one 4 ounce can of green chiles.
Butter and Heavy Cream – When making Alfredo you will find the butter and heavy cream helps add incredible richness to the pasta sauce.
Cheese – I used a Mexican cheese blend. It adds a nice twist of flavor compared to a classic Alfredo sauce recipe.
How to Know When Chicken Is Done
Chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. I recommend using a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is fully cooked.
Do You Need to Allow Chicken to Rest
Once your chicken is done I do recommend allowing it to rest 5-10 minutes before slicing. Doing this is important as it prevents the chicken from drying out.
If you slice the chicken right after it is removed from the pan it can release all the juices and cause your chicken to dry out.
How to Make
Full directions on how to make this taco chicken Alfredo are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Step One: Heat up oil in your skillet and season the chicken as directed below.
Step Two: Pan sear the chicken until fully cooked. Cook your pasta as directed on the package as your chicken is cooking.
Step Three: Once chicken is done and removed you will begin working on sauce. Add in butter and whisk in the heavy cream.
Step Four: Then add in part of the rotel and the cheese. Mix until nice and creamy.
Step Five: Then drain pasta, stir with sauce, slice and add chicken. Garnish with remaining rotel and cilantro.
Place any leftovers you don’t plan to eat right away in the fridge in an airtight container.
The pasta dish will store for 2-3 days. You can warm chicken alfredo in the microwave or on the stovetop. Make sure to stir often on the stove to prevent burning.
Can You Freeze Leftovers
You can’t freeze this as the sauce will separate once it thaws. The texture will be off so I recommend not freezing the Mexican Alfredo.
Want more chicken recipes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter, separated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 can Mild Rotel (2 tablespoons reserved for garnish)
- 10 ounce, pasta (any shape), cooked
- Garnish: 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Cilantro
- Pat the chicken dry on both sides with a paper towel. Sprinkle with the taco seasoning on a plate or large bowl.
- Press both sides of the chicken breast into the seasoning.
- Cover the chicken completely. (Discard the extra seasoning that didn't stick to the chicken. Heat 1 tbsp butter in pan on the stove over medium heat.
- Add the seasoned chicken to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until chicken is completely cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the pan, place on a plate, and cover with foil to keep it hot. Add the rest of the butter to the pan that the chicken was cooked in and melt over medium heat. (Keep all of the drippings and dark bits of cooked chicken and taco seasoning from the chicken.)
- Slowly add the heavy cream, whisking to incorporate all the seasoning. Whisk constantly and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the Rotel (reserving 2 tbsp for garnish) and shredded cheese, stirring until chickened and the cheese is melted.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and reduce heat to low. Remove chicken from the foil covered plate, slice into strips, and add on top of the pasta.
- Spoon on the reserved Rotel and sprinkle on fresh cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 547mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 15g