This chocolate mint cupcakes recipe is absolutely incredible. The best part of all, it is a cupcake that is made from a cake mix for quick prep, but gives you that homemade taste! Tender and light chocolate cake topped with mint cookie frosting! Let me just say, you will not want to eat just one of these oustanding mint cupcakes.
Here is a really easy mint cupcake recipe that you can use Grasshopper cookies or Thin Mints. If you are a fan of Girl Scout cookies go for this easy way to serve up your favorite cookie! Out of season, then reach for a mint cookie like a Grasshopper at the store. These cookies are outstanding served any time of year.
Easy Chocolate Mint Cupcakes Recipe To Make
Now if you have a classic chocolate cake recipe you enjoy, you, of course, can swap it out for the cake mix method. I personally find the added ingredients paired with the cake mix hide the fact that is is the base of a boxed cake mix. If you are on the hunt for a St. Patrick’s Day dessert, try my green velvet bundt cakes!
More Favorite Cake Mix Recipes
Tips for Making Chocolate Mint Cupcakes
- Room Temperature Ingredients | I find that room temperature ingredients help to give your cupcakes a nice light and airy batter that bakes up light. If you use cold eggs next to the melted butter it could affect the outcome of your batter.
- Blend Well | When working with your cupcake batter blend until most of the lumps are gone. This will help your cupcakes cook evenly with no batter spots.
- Frosting | With frosting it can be hard to get the right consistency. If your frosting is too thick add in some milk, and blend. This will lighten it up. Then if your frosting is seeming too soft, add in more powdered sugar. Depending on how you measure and how it mixes up, you might need to play with the ratio.
Ingredients for Chocolate Mint Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Stick Salted Butter, Melted
- 1 Cup of sour cream
- 3/4 Cup of milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. Mint Extract
- Green Cupcake Liners
- 2 Sticks of Butter, Softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3-4 Cups of Powdered Sugar
- 10 Thin Mints finely crushed
- 24 Thin Mint or Keebler Grasshopper Cookies
- Green Sprinkles for toppings
Directions For Chocolate Mint Cupcakes Recipe
- Combine the Cake Mix, Butter, Eggs, Sour Cream, Milk and Extracts and mix well using a Handheld Mixer or Kitchenaid.
- Fill Cupcake Liners about ¾ of the way full
- Bake at 350 Degrees for 18-20 Minutes until centers are set.
- In a separate bowl combine the Softened Butter, Vanilla, and 1 Cup of Powdered Sugar.
- Beat until everything is well mixed and creamy
- Slowly continue adding in the additional powdered sugar until the frosting thickens up
- You can add 1-2 Tbsp. of Milk if you need to thin out the frosting.
- Slowly stir in Crushed Cookies into your Frosting
- Pipe the frosting onto your cupcakes and sprinkle with Green Sprinkles
- Top with a Thin Mint or Grasshopper Cookie for Garnish!
Can You Freeze Chocolate Mint Cupcakes
Yes! Just place in airtight container and freeze the chocolate mint cupcakes for up to 3 months. Then thaw in the fridge and enjoy. They are so good and hold up well in the freezing process.
Have you tried a chocolate mint cupcake before?