Chocolate Pudding Cake is a rich and decadent chocolate pudding cake recipe. If you are a fan of chocolate and cake this hot fudge pudding cake will be a hit. A great potluck dessert or weeknight dessert that will win you over with one bite.
Want to elevate the flavor? Add on some dollop of ice cream, whipped cream, or even cherries or other fruit. This pudding cake is a HUGE hit anytime of the year.
Why Will You Enjoy This Chocolate Pudding Cake Recipe
Chocolate Lovers Will Swoon – Here is a delicious chocolate cake that is full of rich decadent chocolate flavor.
Pantry Ingredients – You can head into your kitchen and you might find you have all the ingredients in your pantry and fridge. It is so simple and I wanted a dessert that had everyday ingredients!
Homemade Cake – This is a homemade dessert that is going to truly wow your family or friends. It is so easy to make, and trust me, it is loaded with flavor.
Espresso Coffee – This is going to give your cake so much flavor and make it truly stand out among other desserts you whip up.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Granulated Sugar
- Special Dark Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Brown Sugar
- Instant Espresso
- Hot Water
How to Make
The full directions for this chocolate pudding cake are in the recipe card below. This is a walk through on how to make this chocolate cake.
Preheat the oven, and then prep your 8×8 baking pan.
Start by grabbing a bowl and and add in all your dry ingredients and mix until combined. Now add in the butter, milk, and vanilla. Mix well till it is fully mixed.
Spread the batter into your baking dish. Take your semi-sweet chips and evenly sprinkle over the cake batter.
In a small mixing bowl, stir the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, the brown sugar, and 4 tablespoons cocoa. Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the cake batter.
In a bowl you will then Mix hot water with espresso powder. DO NOT STIR The cake. If you do it will ruin it. Bake as directed.
Spoon up and top with ice cream, whipped cream, etc. It will have a similar creamy texture like cake and pudding, hence the name.
Variations To Recipe
- Sprinkle in some walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, etc.
- Add on some pie fill on top when done. Cherry pie filling or strawberry would be delicious.
- Drizzle on some hazelnut spread or peanut butter.
- Dust with powdered sugar when done.
I store this cake in the fridge in a covered dish. Then when you want to eat you can eat it cold, or warm it up in the microwave for a gooey texture like it is when fresh out of the oven.
The cake will last for 3-5 days in the fridge when stored properly.
Looking For More Chocolate Recipes
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (divided)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 tablespoons special dark cocoa powder (divided)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup vitamin D or 2% milk
- 1/3 cup salted butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 3 teaspoons instant coffee
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium bowl, mix together 3/4 cup of the sugar, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, flour, and baking powder.
- Whisk in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth and all lumps are gone. Spread this batter mixture into an 8" x 8" baking pan or medium size casserole baking dish.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. In a small mixing bowl, stir the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, the brown sugar, and 4 tablespoons cocoa.
- Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the cake batter. In a glass measuring cup, stir together the espresso powder and the hot water.
- Carefully pour the expresso mixture over the top of the cake. Do not stir. (This part is very important!)
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the center does not jiggle when shaken. To serve, spoon the cake and pudding sauce into bowls and top with ice cream, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 204mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 3gSugar: 56gProtein: 5g