Are you game day ready? Check out this super easy football cake hack! No need for a special pan, just a few cuts and you have a football cake ready to frost, decorate and serve.
This football cake is also great for a football party themed birthday! Learn how to make a cake into a football shape in a few steps.
This Football Cake Is…
- Quick and Easy
- Make with boxed cake or homemade cake
- Served over green coconut to mimic grass
How To Make A Football Cake With My Hack
Full measurements and steps on how to make this football cake are listed in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a quick walk through on how to make.
Start by cutting a 2″ slice out of the center of the cake, to make it into halves.
Then you will remove the strip you cut and press the cake pieces together. As you can see just a simple cut and remove it transforms into a football!
Place on your platter and then frost with a chocolate frosting. Then use white frosting to pipe on the football markings.
How to Color Coconut Flakes
Coloring coconut is so easy to do. Just place your coconut in a glass bowl and then add some food coloring (I enjoy Wilton Gel Food Coloring) in. Stir with a fork or spoon mixing until all the coconut is colored. Add more food coloring if needed.
Make sure to use a glass bowl or it will dye a plastic bowl green if you are not careful.
More Football Recipe Ideas
- 15 Slow Cooker Game Day Recipes
- Loaded Tater Tot Skewers
- No Bake S’Mores Krispie Treats
- Football Marshmallow Pops
- 15 Festive Football Desserts
How Much Will One Cake Mix Make
One boxed cake mix will make two football cakes. So what you can do is bake up for one football cake and do the rest cupcakes if you want for a simple pairing to go next to the cake!
How to Store Cake
Room Temperature – You can store your cake at room temperature on the counter. Make sure the cake is fully covered or it will dry out your cake. Serve within the first few days of making. It is best to eat the cake within the first 24 hours.
Freezing – Want to freeze some of the cake? No problem just store in a freezer container and then when ready thaw on counter. The cake will easily freeze for 3-4 months.
Can You Eat The Coconut Grass?
Yes! It is a delicious pairing to the cake if I do say so myself! Just dish up some coconut with your slice of cake and enjoy.
- Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 1/4 Cups Water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cup Chocolate Frosting
- 1/2 cup Vanilla Frosting
- 2 cups coconut
- 8 drops green food coloring
- (These ingredients amounts of water, eggs, and oil might be different depending on the brand of mix you use. You could also make this from scratch!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray baking spray in two either an 8" or 9" round cake pans.
- Combine cake mix, water, eggs, and oil in medium mixing bowl. Mix with a hand mixer on low for 30 seconds.
- Beat for 2 minutes on high.
- Turn an equal amount of batter into baking pans and bake immediately for 24-26 minutes, or until the cake begins to pull away from the edges of the pan and also the middle springs back when touched. Let cool completely and remove from pans.
- Cut a 2" slice out of the center of the cake, creating two equal halves like in the step by step photos.
- Remove and press halves together. Place on a cake plate or platter and frost with chocolate frosting.
- Add white football markings like in the photo. Combine coconut and food coloring in a small mixing bowl and place around the base of the football cake. One cake mix will make two football cakes.
This recipe does make 2 cakes. You could do 1 cake and the rest cupcakes if you want.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 37gProtein: 3g