5 simple ingredients is all it takes to make these heart shaped calzones. Give these a try for a fun dinner any night of the week. Delicious, flavorful, and so simple to make. A Valentine’s Day themed dinner that the whole family will enjoy.
Or if you have kids who enjoy being in the kitchen, let them fill their own pizzas and then bake and enjoy their own creations. Pair with these easy dessert heart shaped pizzas made with sugar cookies.
These Heart Shaped Calzones Are…
- Easy To Make
- Kid Friendly Dinner
- Ready in Under 30 Minutes
- Fill with your Favorite Pizza Toppings
Ingredients and Tools
Pizza Dough – Make homemade pizza dough or buy pre-made dough that you can roll, shape, and bake.
Sauce – Reach for any brand of pizza sauce you like. Or in a pinch use pasta sauce to replace. You can even make homemade sauce if you want.
Cheese – Mozzarella cheese is what I used for this recipe. Now you can swap with another variety of cheese if you would prefer.
Pepperoni – So I did pepperoni for mine but you don’t have to do that for this. Canadian bacon, ground hamburger, veggies, etc. Feel free to customize your pizza as you want.
Oil – I brushed our pizzas with oil to help give it a golden crust on the pizza. This was a great way to brown it up.
Cookie Cutter – I used a heart cookie cutter that works great at giving you that perfect heart shape.
Baking Sheet – I used a lined baking sheet for laying out the pizzas. You want to work with a non-stick surface.
Variations To Recipe
- Go meatless and just do veggies.
- Use a vegan cheese if you want to make it vegan friendly.
- Adjust the size of your calzones to fit how small or large you want to use.
- Top with some Italian seasoning and a dusting of parmesan and butter.
- Add in a blend of meats, bacon, ground beef, sausage, etc.
How To Make Calzones for Valentines Day
Full directions on how to make heart shaped calzones are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post this is a quick walk-through.
Start by preheating the oven and prepping your pan.
Roll out your dough and then use your cookie cutter to make heart shaped dough.
Add your sauce and toppings of choice, and then place the second piece of heart dough on top, brush with oil and bake. You want to make sure to crimp the edges to prevent the insides from oozing out as it bakes.
Once golden brown and the pizzas are fully cooked, remove let cool and serve with sauce and devour.
Can I Freeze These Calzones?
Yes, these calzones are freezer friendly. Just place the cooled calzones in an airtight container for 3-4 months. If you want stack them on top of each other with wax paper in between to prevent sticking.
Then warm the calzones up in the microwave or even in the oven. Just heat until warmed through.
How Long Do Heart Calzones Last?
When stored properly in the fridge you can store your calzones for 3-4 days. Eat them cold or warm them up in the microwave or oven!
More Valentine’s Day Recipes
Heart Shaped Calzones
Heart shaped calzones are the perfect Valentine's Day dinner idea to make and serve your family and friends. Simple and easy heart pizzas that are bursting with cheese, pepperoni and more.
- 1 roll premade refrigerated pizza dough
- 2 cups pizza/marinara sauce, divided
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup pepperoni, or any other pizza ingredients you'd like in your calzones
- 1 tsp olive oil (or 1 egg white)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees and spray baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll out pizza dough and cut with heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- You'll need two heart shapes for each calzone- one heart for the top and one for the bottom.
- Spread pasta sauce, mozzarella cheese, and toppings on the bottom heart of the calzone, leaving between 1/4 and 1/2 inch around the edges.
- Place the top heart on and crimp around edges with fork.
- Glaze with olive oil (or egg white) and sprinkle with your favorite seasoning, if desired.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden on top.
- Serve immediately with remaining marinara sauce for dipping!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 375Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 835mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 16g