You have to try this patriotic Caprese salad. Fresh tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, black olives, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. The ultimate side dish to serve up at your summer cookout, dinner table or to make and gift to loved ones. Give this simple summer side dish a try.
Here are a few more patriotic-inspired recipes for you to make and serve up your guests. 4th of July Brownies, cookie dough dip, or this American Flag fruit tray.
Patriotic Caprese Salad
If you love the flavors of a good Caprese salad, you have to try this recipe. It is simple, easy, and bursting with all the classic flavors with a fun patriotic feel.
When to Make This Salad
- Memorial Day
- 4th of July
- Summer Cookouts
- Weeknight Dinner
- Potluck side dish
How to Make This Summer Salad
Full directions and measurements are in the printable recipe card below.
- Start by cutting up your mozzarella into slices. I used a cookie cutter to make heart-shaped cheese. But you are welcome to skip that if you want.
- Now add your diced tomatoes and olives into a bowl.
- Toss then top with the cheese, basil, and sprinkle over the top.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Then season with salt and pepper and serve.
Can I Make This Salad In Advance
If you want to make the salad in advance, cut up the cheese and store in a separate container. Then add your olives and tomatoes into another bowl.
Right before serving then assemble, drizzle then serve. This salad needs to be mixed and served right after being made.
Variations To Salad
- Toss in some avocado and mix well.
- Use a balsamic glaze
- Drizzle with Italian dressing and vinegar
Do I Have To Use Fresh Mozzarella for Caprese Salad
Fresh mozzarella is best, but it isn’t something you have to have. Feel free to use what you have access to and enjoy. I know you could also great mozzarella pearls as well but they won’t have the triangle shape.
More Summer Side Dishes
Patriotic Caprese Salad
Patriotic Caprese Salad is a simple and festive summer side dish. Great for Memorial Day or the 4th of July! This caprese salad recipe is so easy to whip up.
- 2 cans whole black olives, cut in half
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Fresh Basil
- 1 package sliced mozzarella cheese log
- Balsalmic Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Cut mozzarella slices into star shapes and set aside. I used a cookie cutter to make a star shape.
- Combine black olives and cherry tomatoes in a medium serving bowl and gently stir.
- Top with star cheese pieces.
- Tear fresh basil and sprinkle over the top of the salad. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 50Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g