Peeps Easter Bunny Cupcakes are a chocolate cupcake topped with coconut and a festive marshmallow Peep! This is an easy Easter cupcake that will a treat for your family and friends.
These are so easy to make and no piping skills needed for this cupcake. This brightly colored bunny dessert will have kids jumping for joy. Don’t wait try this recipe today.
And if you have little kids, they might love decorating their own cupcakes. Give it a try, and get them excited for Easter season.
These Peep Cupcakes Are…
- Made with Boxed Cake Mix
- Festive and Cute
- Easy To Make
- No Piping Frosting
- Kid Friendly
Cake Mix + Ingredients – You will make cupcakes as directed on the box. You can essentially use any flavor of cake you would like. I went with a Devil’s Food chocolate cake.
Peeps – So I used bunnies but you can use any style of Peeps. If you did a Chick it would be fun to place a candy egg or two by the Chick to mimic a nest!
Marshmallow Frosting – So I made a homemade frosting with marshmallow cream. You are welcome to make the same, it is a STELLAR Frosting!
Shredded Coconut – Color coconut with green food coloring to mimic grass and top your cupcakes. It hides any imperfections, and no need for piping frosting. Spread a layer of frosting then dip in the coconut.
How to Make Peeps Easter Bunny Cupcakes
Full directions for this Easter cupcake are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a visual walk through.
Step One: The first step is to make up the cupcake batter. Just follow the directions on the box on how to make the cake batter.
Step Two: Spoon the batter into lined cupcake tins, and bake as directed.
Step Three: Once the cupcakes are done, allow the cupcakes to fully cool once cooked. Then you will begin whipping up the marshmallow frosting. Just mix it up with a hand mixer.
Step Four: Spread a layer on top, and then dip in the colored coconut flakes. Then top with a Marshmallow Peep.
How to Color Coconut Flakes
To color your coconut flakes you will add coconut to a bowl or sealed bag. Then you will add in food coloring and mix to combine. Then you can use this to dip cupcakes in.
You can let the coconut dry a bit if you want. Just lay it out in an even layer and let it dry for 30 minutes. I tend to make the coconut flakes when I am cooking cupcakes. This will help when you eat the cupcakes to not get green on you.
The cupcakes can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container. It is important to make sure that they are stored in a container or the cupcakes will dry out.
These Peep cupcakes can store for around 4-7 days. You will find the cupcakes do dry out after the first 2 days.
You can also freeze the cupcakes for 3-4 months. Just place in the right container and then freeze. Thaw on the counter when you want to eat some of the cupcakes.
More Peep Desserts
Frosting and Topping Ingredients:
- 1 7oz Jar of Marshmallow Cream
- ½ Cup Butter Softened
- 1½ Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Green Gel Food Coloring
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Duncan Hines Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Insert cupcake wrappers into muffin tin. (I used green ones to match the grass on top of the cupcakes.)
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and with an electric hand mixer, mix on low for 30 seconds.
- Mix on high for two minutes. Use an ice cream scoop to add the batter to the muffin tin.
- Bake for 22 minutes, or until springy when touched in the middle and cupcakes look dry on top. Cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, cream butter with a hand mixer on high until light and fluffy.
- Fold in marshmallow creme. Mix in vanilla.
- Gradually add powdered sugar a little at a time until you reach your desired frosting consistency.
- Add gel food coloring and mix until completely combined.
- Scoop frosting into a pastry bag and pipe onto the cupcakes.
- In a gallon baggie, combine coconut and green food coloring. Place dyed coconut in a small bowl.
- Press the cupcakes, frosting first, into the coconut. It will stick nicely to the green frosting.
- Place a bunny marshmallow Peep on top.
- If it doesn't stick well to the coconut and frosting, place a toothpick in the cupcake and stick the Peep on the toothpick to secure it. (That's what I did!)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 216mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 2g