These jalapeno popper bites. A tortilla chip that is filled with cream cheese mixture, jalapeno and shredded cheese. Savory, a kick of spice and a great party food that takes minutes to throw in the oven. Give it a try today.
These Jalapeno Popper Bites Are…
- Easy To Make
- Quick Prep
- Great Last Minute Appetizer
- You Control The Spice Level
Tortilla Chips – I recommend buying the tortilla scoops, as they are like mini bowls and will hold all the cream cheese and cheese mixture for this recipe.
Cream Cheese – You can use full fat or a lighter cream cheese for this recipe.
Jalapenos – Deseed and remove the white membrane to tame down the heat of the peppers. Or if you are in a hurry reach for jarred jalapenos that fit your spice preference.
Shredded Cheese – Grate your own or buy pre-shredded cheese. Either works great at this recipe. You will find that pre-shredded cheese can be a lot oilier.
Bacon – Cook up your bacon and then dice into small pieces for topping the cheese mixture.
Green Onions – Another layer of flavor for these tortilla cups.
How to Make
Full steps are below, this is a visual walk through for readers to see exactly how these are made.
Start by mixing up your ingredients for the filling. Make sure to use softened cream cheese.
Then you will place your chips in a single row on a baking sheet.
Begin filling each cup and then bake as directed.
Garnish with toppings if desired and serve.
Can I Make These In Advance
You can make the filling in advance and then store it in a container in the fridge until you are ready to cook it. You do not want to bake up the tortilla chips ahead of time as they will become soggy as they cool down. Wait to fill and bake until you are ready to serve.
Substitute for Jalapenos
Not a fan of spice? You can use baby peppers or a bell pepper in replace of the jalapeno. It will change the flavor a good amount and offer a sweeter flavor. But it is a great swap if you want to ensure there is no spice.
Can I Store Leftovers?
The chips can be stored in the fridge overnight. But you will find the texture will be softer. If we happen to have leftovers we eat them cold the next day, and they taste great.
Variations To Recipe
- Swap out the jalapeno pepper with bell peppers or a sweet peppers.
- Leave off bacon
- Skip the green onions
- Change up the variety of cheese used
- If you don’t want these type of chips feel free to swap them out.
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 green onions, diced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 8 slices bacon, cooked well and chopped
- 8 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 40-50 Tortilla scoops chips, depending on how much you fill them
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese, green onions, jalapeños, bacon, pepper jack and sharp cheddar cheese.
- Spoon a rounded teaspoon of the filling into each chip.
- Top with additional crumbled bacon and shredded cheese if desired.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until filling is bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Add additional diced green onions for garnish, if desired.
- Serve immediately while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 25 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 427Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 649mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 14g