Whip up this garlic parmesan smashed potatoes for a simple side dish to compliment your dinner. These potatoes are loaded with savory garlic and tangy parmesan cheese. The perfect crunchy outside with a pillow-y potato center.
If you want a different side dish then give these a try. Give this recipe a try and pair with your baked chicken, pork chops, or even a good what you cook on the grill. These potatoes pair with almost anything.
This Smash Potato Recipe Is…
- Made with 7 Ingredients
- Easy Prep
- Crispy texture with soft centers
- Change up ingredients for different flavors
Ingredients You Will Need
Potatoes – You will use small potatoes for this recipe. They have a thin skin and work great for this recipe. You can find these in the produce section, such as a brand from The Little Potato Company.
Garlic Salt and Black Pepper – For the garlic I used garlic salt. This will help bring out some great flavor to the potatoes. You could also use minced garlic if you would like.
Parmesan – The parmesan adds a nice tang to the potatoes. You can buy a block and freshly grate the parmesan. That helps provide even more flavor to the potatoes.
Parsley – Fresh parsley or dried parsley works for this recipe. It is going to give a pop of color and a mild flavor to the potatoes.
Olive Oil Spray – The spray is great to help prevent potatoes from sticking. Any cooking spray will work.
Variations to Recipe
Swap out the seasonings you use. Reach for some Creole or Cajun style seasonings, or a simple salt and pepper mixture. You can essentially use any of your favorite spices for this recipe.
Feel free to change up the cheese. Grate some pepper jack cheese or even sharp cheddar to sprinkle on once done baking.
Bacon is another great add on topper. You could cook and chop up the bacon and add it in at the end.
How to Know When Potatoes Are Done
So you will microwave the potatoes to start making them soft, and then smash, season, and then bake. Then you will toss in the oven and bake again.
The potatoes are done when they are golden brown and crispy on the outside.
Can I Use Other Style of Potatoes
If you use russet potatoes or even a Yukon gold potato, you will need to cube it up so that they are quartered up and offer a bite-size texture.
More Easy Side Dishes
- 2 lbs Microwaveable New Potatoes (Such as those from The Little Potato Company)
- Olive Oil Spray
- 1 tablespoons Garlic Salt
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Black Pepper to Taste
- Pre-heat your oven to broil on high. Open potatoes and discard seasoning packet. Microwave according to package.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet sheet with olive oil spray. Arrange potatoes onto the sheet and use a fork or potato masher to lightly flatten the potatoes.
- Don't push the potato down too hard or it will be flattened and mashed instead of smashed.
- Mix together the butter, garlic salt and parsley. Spoon the mixture onto each smashed potato.
- Sprinkle with pepper to taste. Broil until they are golden and crispy (about 10 minutes). Remove from oven, and sprinkle on the parmesan cheese.
- Return to oven and broil until cheese is melted. Season with a little extra pepper and parsley, if desired, and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 183Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 690mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g