This Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins Recipe is on the top of my favorite fall breakfasts, they are incredibly soft and moist. Actually, they are so soft and moist they are almost creamy, which is something incredibly good for a muffin in my opinion.
However how soft and moist these Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins are is not what makes them incredibly good. The reason why these muffins have the first spot on my list is because you can freeze them for pretty much half a year! Yep, 6 months of freezer time and they come out exactly like the first day. If that’s not mind-blowing, then I seriously don’t know what else can be.
But even if you don’t decide to keep them for that long (they usually don’t last more than a couple of weeks in our household), they are the perfect on the go breakfast. You just need to pop them in the microwave for a couple of seconds right after taking the out of the fridge.
However, they are not only a super delicious breakfast on the go (add a strong coffee and you just got yourself the best weekday breakfast) but served warm with a generous drizzle of maple syrup + some butter is as indulgent and relaxing as it gets.
And then there’s the topping. While you can totally go without it, the topping is what elevates these muffins to the next level, and it’s actually really easy to make! You just need to mix all the ingredients in a bowl, melt the butter and then just quickly dip your muffins in the butter and then in the sugar mix.
If you decide to go with the topping, which I highly advise, make a double batch because honestly everyone is going to ask for seconds and thirds, and one more to take to school.
For the dough
- ½ Cup water
- ¾ Cup milk
- ½ Cup sugar
- ½ Cup butter
- 1 Tsp salt
- 2 Eggs
- 4 Cups flour
- ¼ Ounce yeast
For the filling
- ½ Cup butter
- ½ Cup brown sugar
- 2 Tsps pumpkin spice
- 1 Tbsp cream cheese
For the Glaze
- ½ Cup cream cheese
- ¾ Cup powdered sugar
- ¼ Cup butter
- ⅛ Cup water
- Optional: cream cheese glaze
- Warm up the water and add the yeast, set aside.
- In a bowl mix the sugar and butter.
- Add the eggs, milk and 1 cup flour. Once it’s mixed in, add a second flour cup. Add the yeast and repeat the process with the remaining flour.
- Mix until well incorporated.
- Transfer to a flat surface and knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Place in bowl, cover and let it rise for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whip up the filling: melt the butter, soften the cream cheese and mix in bowl with the sugar and pumpkin spice.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and transfer to a flat and floured surface.
- Roll out into a rectangle.
- Spread the filling and roll it to form buns.
- Slice it and take to a previously greased baking pan.
- Take to the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Optional: while baking, whip up the glaze mixing all ingredients in a bowl and take to a piping bag.
- Remove from the oven, top with cream cheese glaze.
- Serve and enjoy.