Did you know you can take a 9×13 cake and transform it into an Easter Cross Cake? This is so easy to make and you can decorate anyway you would like. Give this easy Easter Cross cake hack a try today.
This Easter cake is one that takes minimal effort to make. No piping skills needed just grab your supplies and get to cooking. Easter desserts never looked so pretty.
Easy Decorative 9×13 Cake
What is awesome is you start with a 9×13 cake pan. No special tools needed for this cake. Simple ingredients and a classic pan that almost every kitchen has.
The key is using parchment paper for easy removal of the cake. This is important or you will find your cake will break apart as it comes out of the pan.
What You Need For Dessert
Cake Mix – Any flavor of cake works. I used a box cake to speed up the prep process but feel free to make homemade if you prefer.
Eggs Whites, Water, Oil – These ingredients are used to mix in with the dry cake mix.
Whipped Cream – Head to the freezer section in your store and buy a tub of whipped cream.
Sprinkles – Get creative and buy different colors or shapes to use to sprinkle on the cake.
How to Make Cross Cake
Full directions are in the recipe card below. This is a visual walk through to help you see exactly how to make this cake.
Step One: Mix up and bake cake as directed. Then allow the cake to fully cool.
Step Two: Next you will slice your cake in half lengthwise. Then in the top corner into half, like pictured here.
Step Three: Then you will transfer the cake onto a tray or baking dish and then shape into a cross.
Step Four: Next you will begin frosting the cake. Just spread the whipped cream all over the cake, and then add sprinkles on top all over the cake.
You will store your cake in the fridge until you are ready to serve. The whipped cream is perishable, so needs to be covered and refrigerated.
Then you can also freeze the cake. Just store in a proper container, and you can freeze for 2-3 months.
Variations to Cakes
- Any flavor of cake works.
- Instead of whipped cream you can use frosting.
- Swap out the sprinkles with Easter candy.
- You could cut cake in half and add a layered cake design, but it will take more work.
Craving More Easy Easter Recipes
- Easter Egg Cream Tart
- M&M Brookie Bites Easter Cups
- Peanut Butter Easter Eggs
- Cheesecake Easter Egg Cups
- 1 Duncan Hines Cake Mix
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large container Cool Whip
- Sprinkles, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, combine water, egg whites and vegetable oil, then beat on medium for two minutes.
- Pour into a pan and bake for 24-26 minutes, until the top begins to turn golden and the edges begin to pull away from the side of the pan.
- Let cool completely and cut in four pieces according to the photo.
- Place cake pieces on large tray in a cross shape like in the photo and frost.
- Tip: Since the soft sides of the cake are exposed after being cut into pieces, it is MUCH easier to frost using a very light whipped frosting like Cool Whip instead of a heavier buttercream. Top with sprinkles, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 166mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g