This Halloween Puppy Chow will be a hit at all your fall events! (Or even snack time at home, of course.) My kids love the fun colors and the Halloween M&Ms are perfect for mixing in! It is SO easy to match the color of the puppy chow to the M&Ms and I’m going to show you how!
How to Make Halloween Puppy Chow
The ingredients for the Halloween Puppy Chow are very similar to the regular puppy chow that we all know and love! Of course, some might prefer to call it Halloween Muddy Buddies! Anyway, the only difference is that in place of the chocolate chips, you instead need to use candy melts in the colors you want. Sometimes a little extra gel food coloring is needed if you’re trying to achieve very specific colors.
How to Get Colored Puppy Chow
In order to get the vibrant colors you see here, you need to use less powdered sugar than you do with the regular puppy chow recipe. That way, the color from the candy melts can still be seen.
Ingredients for Halloween Puppy Chow
- 1 Cup Peanut Butter
- 1 Stick of Butter
- 1/2 Bag Lime Green Candy Melts
- 1/2 Bag Purple Candy Melts
- 1/2 Bag Orange Candy Melts
- 10 Cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 1 Cup Halloween M&Ms
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- Gel Food Coloring, if desired, to achieve brighter colors
First, melt 1/3 cup peanut butter, 1/3 stick of butter, and orange candy melts in a bowl. Do the same for the purple candy melts and the green candy melts. Add food coloring if you prefer the color to be more vibrant. Personally, I didn’t need any food coloring for the orange, but I did add some for the purple and the green.
Add powdered sugar, a little at a time, stirring in-between additions. Stop adding powdered sugar when the mix is coated, but the color can still be seen.
Add all colors of the muddy buddies to a big mixing bowl. It’s so fun to see all of the colors together!!
Mix the colors all together and then add the Halloween M&Ms! That’s literally all you have to do! So easy!
More Halloween Recipes
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 stick butter
- 1/3 bag purple candy melts
- 1/3 bag orange candy melts
- 1/3 bag green candy melts
- 1-2 cups Halloween M&Ms
- Food Coloring, if Desired
- Melt 1/3 cup peanut butter, 1/3 stick of butter, and Orange Candy Melts in a bowl. Do the same with the purple and green candy melts.
- Mix one third of the Chex in with the candy melt mixtures, keeping them separate so the colors don't mix. Once the Chex is coated, stir in just enough powdered sugar to coat it but not turn it entirely white. That way, the colors will still show through!
- Combine all colors into a large bowl and add the Halloween M&Ms!